Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

How to finish walls

06-30-06, 04:27 PM   #1  
How to finish walls

Hello,

A many years ago we took of cheap paneling that the previous owner had installed. It was over sheetrock but it was glued and when we took it down the glue of course took patches of the paper with it that covers the sheetrock. I did hit it with a little sandpaper and then we covered it, not sure if I primed it or not, I hope I did but not sure. We then covered it with wall paper. Is there any way short of applying another layer of sheetrock to fix this problem? We would like to wall paper again, but it is senseless to do it over the rought places.

Thanks
Barry

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

06-30-06, 04:36 PM   #2  
It would be best to strip the paper and refinish the walls. You could laminate the walls with 1/4" rock but you would need to remove and modify the woodwork and probabably need box extensions on the electrical.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

06-30-06, 05:28 PM   #3  
Thanks for the reply Mark. When you say refinish the wall, what exactly does that mean?

Thanks
Barry

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-01-06, 04:31 AM   #4  
Stripping the wallpaper, removing the adhesive and then sanding and/or floating joint compound to smooth out the wall.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread