Firewall Behind Drywall?

Old 07-07-06, 03:19 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Firewall Behind Drywall?

I started to remove some drywall in order to reroute the drain piping for a sink and encountered about a 1/2 inch thick wooden board behind the wall. I think it goes all the way up and down the wall and may be a firewall. Does anyone know if it is a firewall or not and if so, can I remove a piece to reroute the piping and then reinstall? Any tips for how to do so without damaging the studs and entire wall?

Old 07-07-06, 05:27 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Firewall Behind Drywall?

I doubt if it is a firewall. Modern code allow wood in a firewall-rated wall if it is protected by a required amount of gysim board.

I doubt if it could be considered a fire stop (fire retarder), unless it was required by an old code.

Maybe someone may have some unique ideas whether it has a specific purpose.

Dick

Old 07-07-06, 05:39 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Maybe it's not a wooden board?

What is gysim? I suppose it could be that. I'm not sure that the board is made of wood, it just looks like a wooden material. How could I check on that?

Old 07-07-06, 05:58 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Firewall Behind Drywall?

Forgive my spelling.

I was referring to gypsum board, sheet rock or dry wall. It is a gypsum based plater material sandwiched with paper. Usually a 5/8" layer is required in garages instead of the traditional 1/2" that is used elsewhere.

It does not stop a fire, but just slows it up a bit. - Part of the U.S. concept of life safety in building codes instaed of the "build it so it lasts forever" concept used in some other countries.

Dick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: