Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

mobile home walls

07-07-06, 02:16 PM   #1  
mobile home walls

I want to cover the walls in my bathroom with textured drywall compound. The only question I have is whether I need to prime the surface or not. I understand from other posts that I should not strip the wallpaper in a mobile home. I read in another post that I should prime the wallpaper surface before painting over it but don't know if this applies to drywall compound over the wallpaper also.
Thanks for any replies!

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

07-07-06, 02:53 PM   #2  
Mud compound stays damp a long time and will work on the wall paper and loosen it I'm afraid. Even if you were to prime the wallpaper first to see if THAT would blister the wallpaper...I don't think you could even use THAT test as an indicator because the primer will dry very rapidly, depending on how thin you apply it. But the mud compound will stay like paste for quite a while longer.

You have nothing to lose though by experimenting on some area... since the worst that could happen is that you'll have to strip the wallpaper down to the paneling, as what probably needs to be done anyway.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-08-06, 05:59 AM   #3  
Welcome to the forums

If the MH is one of the newer ones with factory installed drywall - DO NOT REMOVE THE WALLPAPER - it isn't like normal drywall but it 1/4" thick and the vinyl paper is the face of the gypsum.

After making sure the wall is clean, prime with a solvent based primer. You then can use the j/c. The j/c will need to be primed also but latex primer will be fine for it.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

07-08-06, 01:31 PM   #4  
Thanks, marksr, that was exactly the info I needed. It is only a 3 year old m/h and I suspected that the wallpaper shouldn't be removed. I have the j/c and tools for that, now I will go get the solvent to prime the wall and get to work!
I will post some pics as I go if that might help someone else.

Search this Thread