load bearing question

Old 07-08-06, 04:44 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
load bearing question

I've read that even if there are doorways and such in interior walls, that those walls can still be load-bearing walls. I suspect that the wall I'm dealing with is a load-bearing one. I want to widen a doorway so that I can fit my dryer into my little laundry space. I don't want to remove any wall, I just want to move a support only six inches or so from where it is presently. I will of course put the new supports in place before I remove the existing ones. My question is, is it safe to do so? I know, it might sound like a ridiculously simple question, or no-brainer, but I'd rather do it right! Here's a link to two photos in case my explanation is as clear as mud.

http://atlakesimcoe.com/house.html

Old 07-08-06, 07:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If it is truly a load bearing wall, the header over the door opening was not built correctly, as the header should rest on a jack stud, then a king stud placed next to it. You can install a king stud and jack stud where you want, but you should build a new header and install it as well. This will entail removing the sheetrock over the header on both surfaces, building a header, resting it on the jack studs and replacing the sheetrock. I am assuming you will leave the opening as a cased opening rather than trying to find a door that will fit the new opening.

Old 07-09-06, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Even though there are currently two king studs there on the exposed left side of the frame, it's okay to change that to one king stud and one jack stud, with a proper header resting on the jack stud?

Also I don't want to have to move the right side of the door frame (due to wiring right next to it) so assuming that it's framing is the same as the left side, is it okay for me to just cut off the 'inside' king stud to convert it to a jack stud to match the other side of the door frame? (Assuming my header is ready to be installed on top of the jack studs).

Thank you for your help, Larry!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: