Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Wet drywall

MI

07-12-06, 07:11 AM   #1  
Wet drywall

I just installed my roof trusses and jack rafters into existing house roof and tarped project due to possible bad weather. The 30 % chance of rain came and found its way into the exterior wall all the way down to the basment (above grade wall) I just drywalled and insualted this room this past winter but have not primed or painted it (floor is concrete no harm done there). There are two water trails running down the exterior wall and puddles on the floor where it exited the wall, I have the dehumidifer running round the clock. How do you determine if you need to remove the drywall and insulation? Project will be shingled tommorow (weather permitting) to prevent a reoccurence .

Thanks for any advice,
Jeff

Sponsored Links

VA

07-12-06, 07:42 AM   #2  
Id cut a few places to see if back side is wet! Cut like a 8x8 area and take a good look to make sure its not wet! If it is not I would not worry about it!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-12-06, 10:31 AM   #3  
Sheetrock can usually withstand getting wet once. Repeated or prolonged dampness is where the damage comes from. IMO if it dries well you should be fine - may need a solvent based primer to block any water stains. I also tend not to look for things to worry about Examing the backside of the rock would aid in determining if mold might be a factor.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MI

07-13-06, 08:12 AM   #4  
Thanks for the peace of mind regarding the drywall, any thoughts on the pink insulation in this wall?

Jeff

Search this Thread