Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

planning the installation of basement ceiling

07-17-06, 06:47 AM   #1  
planning the installation of basement ceiling

We are finishing the basement of our ranch style home. The heating / AC trunk lines are 5' wide and run the length of the basement ceiling. That part has been drywalled. A few months ago we finished the smaller side of the basement. We decided to use the 'drop' ceiling system whose supports screw into the ceiling joists. I started with full (24") tiles along the trunk line. I needed to trim about 2" from the third row before it 'disappeared' into the new closets we installed. Now I am working on the larger side of the basement. It measures 147" x 388". If my math is correct the 147" width is going to leave me with a 3" tile if I start with a full tile at the trunk line again. Should I do that? I'd hate to cut 1 1/2" tiles for each side. Do I have other options? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

07-18-06, 02:10 PM   #2  
What you really want to do is start in the middle and measure to the edges. That way you will have two equally sized partial pieces to deal with, which usually can be cut from the same piece of tile.
Install the center rail and work to the sides.

07-19-06, 05:01 AM   #3  
Thanks for replying Larry. Do I really want 1 1/2" pieces running down each side?

Search this Thread