Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

too much spackle

07-18-06, 07:50 AM   #1  
too much spackle

I really messed up! When we moved into our home, it was top to bottom wallpaper in every room and I peeled it all off except the living room. It was impossible to get the under-layer off, so I spackled the lines where the paper met. Unfortunately we didn't sand the spackle down enough and I primed and pained over the walls. Now we have striped walls because that room gets so much light you can see every bump of spackle. Should we sand it down again through the paint, primer, etc. or try to put another layer of mud on the walls ? Should we "cut out" the stripes of spackle and start over? It is 3 walls total. HELP!!!!

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

WI

07-18-06, 08:18 AM   #2  
Paint is difficult to sand. I would recommend skim coating the wall with joint compound and sanding that smooth before priming and painting again.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

07-18-06, 10:29 AM   #3  
Welcome to the forums

It is possible that if you didn't prime the spackle that may be some of the cause. You might be able to sand some, respackle, sand, prime and then paint. Defects will show less with flat paint.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread