Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Chalky substance on drywall after wallpaper removal

07-18-06, 11:59 AM   #1  
Chalky substance on drywall after wallpaper removal

I have removed the old wallpaper on a couple of walls and discovered the wall was painted before the wallpaper was put up.

I moved onto another location to remove some other wallpaper and when I returned, the old paint appeared to be peeling from the drywall. I started in a small section and began peeling the paint from the walls. It almost acts as if the paint is no longer adhereing to the drywall. Then...this morning as I was walking by the area, I ran my hand over the drywall area with no paint left on it and a chalky residue was left on my hand.

First, any idea what the residue is?
I would like to install new wallpaper, what is the best way to prep the walls again?

Drywall is hard, no apparent damage.

Very confused,

Thanks for the help in advance.

Tlcar

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

07-18-06, 02:07 PM   #2  
Tlcar, welcome to the forums. You probably have a residue of both the paint which wasn't adhered properly, and/or some of the glue left from the wallpaper.
You will want to "size" the wall first to give the wallpaper a good substrate to adhere to. Wall sizing is found in the wallpaper section of big box stores or in hardware stores. Make sure you have a good and smooth wall before sizing it, as any aberritions will show through the wallpaper once it dries.

Search this Thread