Texturing the ceiling

Old 07-18-06, 04:20 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Texturing the ceiling

I need some help, please. I'm trying to redo my ceiling. I patched the holes up and sanded it down. I had popcorn texture on the ceiling, so I scraped the texture off the ceiling. So, I was wondering what was the next steps I had to take to redo my ceiling with a stomp texture or another texture that would look good and easy to do. Do I primer the ceiling and then roll a thin layer of mud or joint compound on the ceiling and texture that. Or do I let that dry and then put another layer on and then texture that layer. Or is there another way you suppose to do it. So, I'm wondering what steps you take and what is the best way to texture and what tools to use to texture the ceiling. Thank You.

Old 07-18-06, 05:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The way I did it for stomping I just bought a stomping brush and used a extension pole and joint compund. This gave the flower look.

In another room I used a texture roller. I thinned joint compound with white paint till it was about the consistancy of elmers glue and carefully rolled it on. This looked great.

The painting pro's will for sure have better procedures and ideas but this worked good for me.

Either way be prepaired for a stiff neck in the morning.

Old 07-19-06, 08:44 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 408 Votes on 364 Posts
The easiest quickest way to stomp a ceiling is to thin j/c down to a thick paint like consistency and roll it on the ceiling and then stomping out the texture. 2 stomp brushes are a round brush and a crowsfoot brush [also comes in double=twice as fast] dampen the brush with water before using.

Obviously the smoother or better shape the ceiling is in the better the new texture will look. You shouldn't need to prime the ceiling first unless there are some adhesion issues. it is always a good idea to paint texture as it will seal it. Except in damp locations 1 coat of ceiling paint is usually sufficent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: