Someone please help!


Old 07-20-06, 10:28 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Someone please help!

Hey, my cousin was drunk the other night and thought it would be funny to put his head through my wall. I have no idea how to sort this problem out and was hoping that someone here could help how to fix it!!
Old 07-21-06, 12:10 AM
lexmarks567's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Warren MI
Posts: 609
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You could start by paching it with packing tape then plaster over it for the time being.Then when you have time find the 2 studes(wood beams that the drywall is atached to)the dry wall is screwed into.Cut it with a box cutter about 1/2 inch out from the studes and replace that section of dryway then use drywall tape to cover the seams and plaster and repaint it.Its alot of work and mess.If your not sure you can do it or to afraid you could do more damage then good then call a contractor out to do the job but there not cheap.

Last edited by lexmarks567; 07-21-06 at 03:30 AM.
Old 07-21-06, 06:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 47,827
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Cut out a square where the damage is and then take 2 wood strps longer than the hole, hold them firmly behind the drywall and then attach it above and below the hole with drywall screws. This will give the new piece of drywall something to attach to.

Drywall comes in 3 thickness sizes - 3/8",1/2" & 5/8" with 1/2" being the most common for residential walls. It is sold in 4'x8'x sheets [or larger] You may want to stop at a construction site [where drywall is being hung] and there is a good chance they would give you a piece of scrap large enough to make the repair. It is also possible to find a drywall finisher who would be willing to make the repair for you - cheaper than calling a contractor.

Once the drywall is secured in place you use joint compound applied around the perimeter with drywall tape pressed in the wet mud and smoothed out with a broad knife. It usually takes 3 coats of j/c. Let dry between coats, sand as needed. You could also use 'sticky' tape - a self adhering mesh tape. While not as good it goes on like masking tape and gets mud applied over it.

The biggest challenge will be matching the texture which appears to be a knock down. This was originally [thinned down j/c] sprayed on [splatter coat] and then knocked down with a wide knife. I have heard of diyers using a brush or piece of carpet anything to give the wall some texture with the j/c and then knocking that down.

hope this helps

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: