Drywall and Bowed Walls

Old 07-21-06, 12:27 AM
Drywall and Bowed Walls

I have removed wood paneling from my walls and am in the process of installing drywall. I have run into a problem with a bowed wall at the end of one room. The house is a split level,
and the floor for the upper part of the house bascially divides the end wall for the lower level into two parts. In this wall, there are separate studs above the upper floor level and below. The wall is bowed out where the upper floor begins--basically in the center of the wall for the bottom floor. A majority of the 2 x 4 studs above the upper floor level are also slanted back at the top, and the majority of the studs below the upper floor seem to be slanted back at the bottom, helping to created this bowed out effect. A few of the upper studs seem to be bascially level, magnifying the defect with the other studs even more.

I have also recently installed hardwood floors, and to level the lower part of this wall with new studs, I believe the bottom of studs would actually be out over the wood floor. That's how far out of wack this wall is.

Any suggestons? Move the whole wall out? Attach new studs. Install strips across?

Help? I hope this makes some sense.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-06, 05:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Is it feasable to either shim the drywall or install strapping shimmed to make it all even?

Old 07-21-06, 06:21 AM
Thanks. What do you mean by strapping shim? Nailing pieces of shim to the 2 x 4s?

Old 07-21-06, 07:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you add strapping to the studs you would shim them out where needed to make for a straight level surface to attach the drywall to.

Old 07-21-06, 09:33 AM
Thanks. You have been a big help.