tape and textured walls

Old 07-31-06, 09:43 PM
tape and textured walls

Hello! I am so excited to have come across this site. My husband and I just purchased a used double wide. I like the look of tape and textured walls. Is this a project that is fairly easy to DIY, or should we hire someone? Any advice is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-06, 04:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums and congradulations on your home purchase

MH drywall is a little different than conventional homes, they utilize 1/4" drywall instead of the the standard 1/2" They also come from the factory with a vinyl covering [instead of being finished and painted] To prevent cracks the joints are covered with a trim piece instead of tape.

As long as you don't plan to move your DW and it is set up well you can tape and texture the walls. First you need to remove the decortive strips [every 4'] and then paint the walls with a solvent based primer. This will allow the joint compound [and texture] to adhere to the vinyl. Once the vinyl is primed you would tape and finish as you normally would.

Taping and finishing is fairly simple and texturing isn't overly difficult although there are many different textures most of which require the texture to be sprayed on with a hopper gun.