Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Shower Ceiling Material

08-01-06, 01:15 PM   #1  
Shower Ceiling Material

Hi,
My wife and I are purchasing a new house that has been completely remodeled. The people that did the remodel seem to have done a great job on everything, although not professionals. I hope someone can answer a question for me. The master shower ceiling material is painted "green board". The ceiling is only abot 6'6''. The shower door doesn't go all the way to the ceiling (approximately 1 foot of space for steam to escape), and the bathroom has a high powered exhaust fan just outside of the shower door. My question is, Is the painted green board enough to prevent mold? I may seem overly sensitive on the subject of mold, but my wife and I bought a house that had toxic mold, and it made us all very ill. My wife is very sensitive to mold now and ras reservations about the ceiling material.
Please Advise...Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links

KS

08-01-06, 02:07 PM   #2  
green board isnt mold resistant. there is some new products out there that are mold resistant. Georgia pacific makes dens armour. it is a mold resistant sheet rock. That being said I think a really good paint job with moisture and mold resistant paint goes a long way to prevent any moisture build up.

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

08-01-06, 04:45 PM   #3  
So we can "see" what you see, describe the walls. Are they tiled or is the shower a fiberglas unit? You may want to consider tiling the ceiling and sealing the seams at the walls really well. This way, you can wipe it down and not worry about wearing out the paint. Ceiling at 6'6", that's low.

08-02-06, 12:44 AM   #4  
Hi Chandler,
The shower is tiled floor to ceiling, with a "glass" door. Ceiling heigth is actually 7 feet. As I mentioned the upper 12" to 18" is cut away from the door to vent steam and a powerful fan is right outside the door above this "cut-out".
Thanks!

Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

08-02-06, 04:02 AM   #5  
If your paint is a good quality, you have good ventilation, and hopefully have a window for incoming light in the room, and keep the area wiped down as often as you clean your doors, you really shouldn't have alot of problem with mold.

Search this Thread