Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Using Paneling on interior mobile ceiling

Old 08-03-06, 03:21 AM

I was hoping that someone may have wisdom to my problem. I just purchased a 76' single wide, and I've started making it nice.

In the bathroom, I installed the texture like plastic paneling with a lower tile pattern. After that, I replaced sink, shower, toilet, and flooring.

So everything looks good in my humble opinion, but the ceiling is rather ugly. I found "Solid Pine Edge & Center Bead Planking" on Lowe's website, and I was wondering if there is any problems with installing this type of ceiling.

I was hoping to simply use my brad nailer and nail over the orginaly paneling. I figured I would remove the metal track thingies that seem to cover the mounting screws of the orignal stuff.

I wasn't sure if weight is an issue or not, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

frank

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-06, 05:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums Frank

I would be leary of installing paneling over the cellotex ceiling. Older MHs don't have much in the way of ceiling framing. Basically it has a truss system made from 1x2's with scrap paneling for gussets. The plastic rosettes keep the weight of the ceiling from pulling it loose.

Sometimes priming the stains with a solvent based primer and then painting the ceiling with latex will make them look new again. If the ceiling is too far gone for paint I would recomend tearing it out and replacing it. I have used drywall but often you need to beef up the rafters so it can handle the weight.

You can use the bead board paneling on the ceiling provided it is thick enough where it won't sag between the rafters. 1/4" paneling will sag!! 3/8" would be the bare minimum thickness.

If you do tear out the old ceiling it would be a good time to add insulation.

mark

Old 08-03-06, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the advice.

I was afraid that would be the case. The paneling doesn't look physically bad, in other words, I think painting would salvage the situation.