drywalling uneven wall studs

Old 08-11-06, 03:31 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
drywalling uneven wall studs

I have demoed a plaster wall and will be replacing it with 1/2 drywall. For two of the studs they are are as much as 5/16" difference outward on the face.
Can I expect the wallboard to bend and be finished with reasonable success or should I fur the others out even to get a straight plane to secure the drywall to? Just how flexable is gypsum board?

Old 08-12-06, 06:03 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Be sure to hang the rock horizontally, this will help to minimize the effect of warped/uneven studs. 5/16" may not be noticable depending on from what point to where. If you have any doubts, fix it now as it would be very difficult later.

Old 08-12-06, 06:21 AM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If it were me, instead of furring out the straight studs, I would make a few passes with a power plane on the studs that are bulging.

Old 08-12-06, 09:30 AM
S
Originally Posted by Wayne Mitchell
If it were me, instead of furring out the straight studs, I would make a few passes with a power plane on the studs that are bulging.

Hand held power plane? was not aware of such a beast, sound like a good idea as the wall is not plum either. about a 12" section almost like a stagered stud wall but top of one bottom of the other side. builder solution for a wet wall and vent pipe collars too big for the wall.

I did try securing a piece of 1/2" was an easy test. The studs are close together and the change must have been too much in the short distance. Noticable bend in the wall and other places it actually broke the drywall at the bend.

So this is why remodels are so expensive.

Thanks

Old 08-12-06, 06:08 PM
S
Power Plane Rocks

Did the job
Thanks Wayne

Old 11-02-08, 07:07 PM
J
Eneven Walls for Drywall

We have uneven studs on the face for the drywall. We installed some drywall, but have stopped since this is a wall that will have a tile backsplash. The wall is at least 1.5 inches off and this is the wall behind the bath sink and will be tiled. Should we pull off the drywall and trim down the studs?

Old 11-02-08, 07:36 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
being an inch and a half off I would fir out the studs rather than trimming them back. that is removing an awful lot of material.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: