Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Correcting hurricane clip mis-nailing.

Old 08-15-06, 05:28 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I need to correctly re-install Simpson hurricane clips that were not originally installed with the correct nails. Galvanized roofing nails were used. Everything has now been pulled. Only the plates were affected; the rafters were never installed.

Will the previously created nail holes seriously compromise the re-nailing? Maybe we use the Simpson 8d steel nails instead of the common 10d (which, according to the Simpson literature, are approved for the H1 clips)?

But I am also wondering. How much weaker are non-spec nails with those ties? I mean, companies tell us all sorts of things about how their products are to be used. Some things turn out to be bunk....

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-06, 05:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
The roofing nails used were electroplated galvanized, and will eventually rust. The Simpson 10d joist hanger nails are hot dipped and give a good resistance to rust, and, of course, are recommended for their ties. Additionally the thicker nail (10d) will snug itself in the old hole, but it would be preferred if you offset it a little (if possible)

Old 08-16-06, 11:13 AM
A
Thanks Larry,
So, is the biggest difference between Simpson hot dipped nails and common nails the corrosion resistance?
Evan

Old 08-16-06, 07:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Evan, yes, and the shank size. The 10d has a larger shank than the roofing nails. What you will be using will be a "framing" size nail without the length to protrude past the 2x lumber.

Old 08-17-06, 11:24 AM
A
Sorry, I should have explained. I know that Simpson nails come in a variety of diameters and lengths. What I was wondering was is the metal itself different from the metal used to make common nails?

BTW: I got a response from a Simpson engineer:

"Assuming the roofing nails have the same diameter or less than an 8d common nail (0.131"), replacing them would not cause a problem. Use 8d common (0.131x2 1/2")into the plates (not an 8dx1 1/2" like our N8 nail). That will get good penetration into undisturbed wood."

Basically, use the fattest and longest nail you can. And, by your recommendation, hot dipped if possible.