Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Low Ceiling in Kitchen (7'4") looking for options

08-15-06, 07:34 PM   #1  
Low Ceiling in Kitchen (7'4") looking for options

Took down a sheetrock ceiling and strapping to replace wiring from 1900. Passed inspection now need to put the ceiling back.

Ideally-like to avoid sacrificing any height.

One option I'm considering is to replace the strapping and put up sheetrock then the ceiling is too low at 7'4"

There are 2x6s 'beams' spaced unevenly but I think maybe paint them white and find a way to finish off the ends but there is nothing to attach anything to at the ends along the wall as the sheetrock walls end where the old ceiling was (7'4"). Thinking about using sheetrock walls cut around the beams but this would mean replacing the sheetrock walls and that's not a great option.

Is there something else to use in this 6" gap between the sheetrock wall and the plank where the 2x6s are attached or am I looking at replacing the sheetrock walls too?

Which is better approach for resale. This is a country kitchen in an old farm house in a rural location. Low but traditional sheetrocked ceiling or somewhat higher unconvential ceiling. Are there other ideas to consider?

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

08-16-06, 04:46 AM   #2  
Overall, how high are the ceiling joists? If they are 7'5" then your only option would be to resheetrock them. I am getting a feeling your joisting is higher and you are stuck with a lower installed 1900 ceiling. Correct me if I am wrong. If you could post a picture or two of your situation on a site like yahoo or photobucket among others, we could see your problem and may could offer some different avenues.

08-16-06, 06:25 PM   #3  
Bottom of Joist are 7 feet

It is a very low ceiling when sheetrocked. Any other options?

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-16-06, 06:32 PM   #4  
How bad did it look before you tore out the old ceiling? I have a house that I built around an old MH. My kitchen only has 7' 3" walls. With the top cabinets going all the way to the ceiling and a low profile light, it doesn't look that bad. Of course it is mine paid for and not intending to sell.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread