Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

bathroom greenboard and wall paper

08-18-06, 10:57 AM   #1  
bathroom greenboard and wall paper

My previous owners wall papered over the bathroom greenboard, but did not prep it first. In my attempts to remove the wall paper, I unfortunately have torn some of the greenboard. My bathroom is now in a state of partial wall paper and partial greenboard because I don't know my next step.

I want to eventually paint and possibly hang wainscot on the walls. Do I need to replace the greenboard? On the areas I plan to wainscot, do I need to do any additional preparation? I've read about skimming, but I don't know much about it and don't know how to do it or how difficult it is.

My father is a retired carpenter and together we can do just about everything, but he does not have plastering experience. I'm on a very tight budget (I'm currently unemployed), so I'm really trying to do every project myself if it is feasible.

Thanks so much for your help!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

08-18-06, 04:19 PM   #2  
Removing wallpaper off of any unproperly prepared wall can be a real pain!! You need to if at all possible remove all the wallpaper and glue. Since the green board is already damaged, after paper removal [sand edges if needed] prime with a solvent based primer.

While any wall that is covered with wainscotting should be primed, those areas don't needed to be skim coated. Basically skim coating is taking some slightly watered down joint compound and applying a thin coat with a broad knife [6"min, 12" better] You don't have to get it perfect, it is easy to sand smooth [just very dusty] After you have skimmed the walls and sanded them, dust, reapply j/c as needed, prime and paint when done.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

08-18-06, 05:35 PM   #3  
Thanks! Unfortunately, I have discovered the hard way how difficult it is to remove wallpaper from unprepped walls.

Search this Thread