Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

knock down ceiling, patching hole?

08-21-06, 06:34 AM   #1  
knock down ceiling, patching hole?

We currently have a whole house fan in the ceiling of our hallway, which we want to remove. When we patch the drywall ceiling, dh is concerned that we can't get the knock down (splatter texture) to look right with the rest of the ceiling. It seems an easy enough task to me, since it is not uniform in appearance anyway.
So is this an easy enough task we could do it ourselves? I assume you use thinned down drywall mud to spackle? I know it is sprayed on a large area, how do you do a small area?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Allie

Sponsored Links

CAL

08-21-06, 07:59 AM   #2  
On a patch that small I have a special brush I use but a whisk broom would work just as well. Dip it in the mud and then use your hand to run across the end of the bristles so that some of the mud flicks off the brush onto the wall. Mask and cover first.
The more important thing is the timing of the knock down. Too soon and it flattens it out and too late and it takes more presure and drags. I use a setting type mud and hit is just as it sets. Stroke the knockdown in the same direction as the surrounding ceiling.

Search this Thread