Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

drop ceiling orientation

Visiting Guest

09-01-06, 02:45 PM   #1  
rjohnson
drop ceiling orientation

I want to install a drop ceiling with 2'*4' panels.

I got a CGC design brochure from Home Depot. The brochure and their web site state that you should make the Main Tee's 4' appart and put 4' Cross Tees between them.

In my basement, I would like to have the panels run lengthwise in the room as opposed to crosswise because the room is 26'*12'. It appears imperative that the Main Tee's run perpendicular to the floor joists above so they can be fastenned. (My floor joists run across the room).

This leaves me with the Main Tee's 2' appart.

The only thing I can think of is that with these panels, I'm either going to have twice as many Main Tee's or twice as many Cross Tees and the Main Tee's are more work. Is that the only reason they recommend 4' Cross Tee's or is there something I'm missing?

Any suggestions for doing the ceiling with low clearance to the joists are welcome too. I'm going to use the flexible fiberglass panels and I read that by putting panels up 2 at a time (with no Cross Tee between them) and snapping the Cross Tee after they are there makes things easier.

Thanks,

Robert

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

NE

09-01-06, 03:43 PM   #2  
>>This leaves me with the Main Tee's 2' appart.

You lost me right there.

Your main tee's are always 4' apart, regardless of which way your 2'x4' panels are oriented. You always use two 4' cross tees to form a perfect square between your main tee's. Then you split that square in half with another cross tee.

So yes, you will need an awful lot of 4' cross tees, and depending on your layout, you may even need some 2' cross tees around the perimeter of the room. I always center drop ceilings in the room so that the pieces on the outside edges (east and west) are the same size, and the pieces (north and south) are also the same size.

Armstrong used to have a drop ceiling estimator program that was free to download on their website. I've used it many times to doublecheck my plans and to estimate my materials.

The only thing that you should need to figure out is whether you need a main tee right down the middle of the room, or whether your main tee's will straddle the middle of the room. You can also offset the main tee's so that the center of your 2x4 panel will be down the center of the room. The reason you would need to determine this is so that you aren't wasting materials around the outside edge of the room.

09-01-06, 04:49 PM   #3  
Put your mains 4' apart and than using 3' cross "T", make an "H" and you'll have 2x4 in the direction you want.

The goal is to be smarter than what you are working on.

Visiting Guest

09-01-06, 04:50 PM   #4  
rjohnson
Thanks, that makes sense. I was thinking I had to put the Main Tee's 2' appart if they are running long direction of the panels with 2' cross tees.

I see what you mean by 4'*4' spaces and then an extra cross tee to divide that up in the desired orientation (in this case parallel to the Main Tees.)

Group Moderator

NE

09-01-06, 06:38 PM   #5  
It sounds like you've got it! Glad to help.

Search this Thread