Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Bull nose corner bead for inside corners

Old 09-06-06, 02:30 AM

I am preparing to start the tape and mud phase of my remodel. I am planning on useing the bull nose corner beads for all of my outside corners. I really like the look of it when finished.

There are a couple windows in the project to finish, and I am wondering what the process is for installing the bull nose around the corners of the window framing. I have seen online that there are corner transition pieces, but I haven't seen them at lowes or home depot.

What do the pros do? Do they use the transitions or is there another method to finishing these corners? Any other options?

Thanks...Randy

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-06, 07:30 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Randy, are you looking for an adobe type finish on the windows. From your post, that is what I am reading, just want to make sure.

Old 09-06-06, 10:15 PM
Not sure, as I'm not sure what you mean by adobe.

Sorry for the confusion. Here is what I am referring to.

http://www.dietrichindustries.com/products/pdf/catalog_138-139.pdf#search='corner%20bead%20transition%20caps'

With standard corner bead it's pretty simple. Just butt the two pieces together and fill in the gaps with mud, but that's not possible with the bull nose type...at least I don't think it is.

Old 09-07-06, 04:19 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Randy: what you will wind up with is a smooth transition from vertical to horizontal, and it is a southwestern adobe type finish that you see in homes there. You will need to use the corner transition pieces they mention in their pdf file. Otherwise you have to be really good and patient with plastering and forming the corners yourself. I believe you could google the part, since you have the manufacturer's page, and find a dealer where you could order them.
Good luck with the project, as it looks like it will be different, but neat.

Old 09-08-06, 12:07 PM
I've found a couple places already, but unfortunately I would have to buy them in bulk...like 50 pieces to a box. I don't think I'll need that many for my project. I'm not really good at plastering. I'm a novice, at best. I guess I'll keep looking.

Another question about these. Will they fit any bull nose stock, or will I have to buy their stock in order for the transition pieces to fit them? In other words, can I buy the transition pieces from where ever I can find them and then buy the stock lengths at home depot, or will I have to buy the stock at the same place I get the transitions?

Thanks for the help, Chandler.

Old 09-12-06, 08:01 AM
Randy,

Is it not possible to just miter cut the 2 pieces of bullnose where they meet in the corner?

Bruce

Old 09-26-06, 02:40 AM
Sorry, AZBruce, I just viewed your reply here, but to answer your question, I don't know.

It's a good question and I would also like to know. Can anyone here answer this question? Is it a standard practice?