Hairline crack in plaster wall

Old 09-08-06, 11:50 AM
Hairline crack in plaster wall

I recently had my walls insulated from the exterior I was residing the house and figured I would just blow it in at the same time. I was warned this could happen in advance and decided the risk was worth the gain. In the process one wall ended up with a hairline crack, it is a plaster surface over the old type wallboard. I am looking for advice on repairing this.

Thanks,
Jeff

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-06, 06:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure if this the correct method for repairing plaster but what I have always done is take a putty knife [or screw driver] and scratch out a groove in the crack and then fill it with durabond

Old 09-09-06, 08:50 AM
Give the crack a few weeks to finish growning. As the insulation settles it might get a bit worse.
Sometimes paint will fill hairline cracks. Otherwise do as marksr suggests. Whatever you do use a material that sets and not one which only dries.

Old 09-09-06, 04:00 PM
Thanks you for the reply. Is Durabond available at the big box stores? Are there other brands you could recommend? I currently have a bag of "Sheetrock" light weight setting compound is this a good option? It sets in 90 minutes. How wide should I open the crack up 1/8"?
Also I am patching an area around the new French door that I installed to replace a slider, I had to cut the plaster above the old door to install a proper header. I can use 5/8" drywall to match existing plaster. Can I use this same compound to tape/fill and blend this area?

Thanks,
Jeff

Old 09-10-06, 05:46 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Setting compound will be fine for both. Sheetrock is used all the time for patching plaster.

You only need to scratch open the crack enough to give you ample surface for the repair to stick to.

Old 09-11-06, 07:19 AM
Thank you for the help and advice! I will give it a couple more weeks as suggested and then give it a go. If it works well I think I will do the ceiling crack in the livingroom although it has that old swirl type texture and it might be more difficult to blend that in. Any recommendations for covering that up or blending it in?

Jeff

Old 09-11-06, 10:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You should be able to duplicate the swirl texture by mixing up j/c to about thick paint consistency and then texturing with it. You could probably use your setting compound also but you wouldn't have as much working time.

Old 09-11-06, 01:57 PM
I will give that a try. Thanks for all your help on this. I will let you know the outcome when The jobs are done.

Jeff