Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Green Rock vs CBU behind culturaled marble

Old 09-09-06, 06:56 AM

I am remodeling my 3x4 ft shower and putting in solid slab walls of cultured marble and pan. Corner joints are caulked. My installer says green board is fine but I am wondering if I would be better off with a CBU product? Also would you add a plastic vapor barrier, three of the bath walls meet interior room walls.
Thanks for any advice
mryan

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-06, 03:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Greenboard is not "waterproof" in itself. I would use a vapor barrier and install cement board to put the marble on. However, if your installer is guaranteeing his installation on greenboard, and he is installing greenboard, then it is on him. But for peace of mind, CBU is your best bet. After all, how long will he be in business?

Old 09-10-06, 04:21 PM
Larry:
Thanks for your confirmation, he's just installing the marble, so my gut feeling was durock, etc behind the marble and green rock on up to the ceiling. Shouldn't I go with a heavy ml on the plastic barrier, or roof felting?
Thanks
mryan

Old 09-10-06, 04:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Either one, but a 3 mil plastic will come in a larger non seamed piece and should give better protection. Good luck with the remodel.