Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Replacing a suspended ceiling with drywall?

09-10-06, 08:32 AM   #1  
Replacing a suspended ceiling with drywall?

Hi all, 1st off what a great forum!!! Wish i would have found it sooner ...seems like there are alot of very helpful people here.
Here is my question : We bought a house (circa 1900) with almost every room having the "commercial style" suspended ceilings. The plaster ceilings are apporx 10' , with the suspended being about 8'. Above almost every one there are plumbing , boiler , and electrial lines above the suspened ceiling. My 1st remodel project in this house is to add a 3rd bath. The room i want to make intot he bath has the suspended ceiling and i would like to replace it with a drywall @ 8'. I was going to take the walls down to bare stud up to about 8' or so. What is the best to make it so i can hang the drywall? I was thinking just stringing 2 x 4's off of the wall studs. Maybe a joist hanger if they make one? I plan on making a access hole to get the mechainals if i ever need to. Sorry for the 1st long post guys ... appriacte any advice you have .
Scott

Sponsored Links
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation

GA

09-10-06, 02:53 PM   #2  
Scott: Welcome to the forums. You may find we ask more questions than you do, but it is to clear up what we can't see.
I would band the room with a 2x2 at the 8' level. Then I would notch out 2x4's cut to wall to wall length on either end with a 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" notch, and set them on the 2x2, fastening them to the studs behind the original wall. No more weight than the drywall will place on the joisting, this should be sufficient.

09-10-06, 06:40 PM   #3  
If you have any elec. "J" boxes, gas or boiler fitting that are classed as unions, you'll need access at those locations.

You have two options for connecting your new ceiling joists.
1st, size them for the span, even if they are 2x4's it would be a good Idea to attach their long dimensions to bearing walls.

If you are going to strip the wall, you can attach them to the sides of the existing studs and block in between them.

If you are not stripping the wall, then attach the appropriate full depth 2x ledger around the room and use the appropriate hanger to attach the new CJ's

TN

09-11-06, 06:53 AM   #4  
Ceiling

What size is the room? How will you support ceiling framing in the middle of the room?

Search this Thread