Sub floor bad under wall

Old 09-15-06, 09:44 AM
Sub floor bad under wall

We live in an old house(around 90 years old or so) and we decided to paint the entryway about a month ago. Well, as with many old homes....one thing leads to another. When we moved a cabinet we found a tear in the vinyl that had let a washer leak into the subfloor and caused damage to that particle board. So then we hired someone to replace the vinyl and overlay it with a new subfloor after ripping out and repairing the bad areas. That is happening today. O.K., that is the history.

The leak went in to the wall between the entry and our bathroom. The contractor ripped out the old vinyl and cut out about a 2 foot X 6 foot area of the particle board subfloor in the entry and dug out some from under the wall. The hardwood floors underneath are damp/wet, but solid. The floor slants to that wall to make matters worse.

What now? Do we dry the hardwood floor as best we can and then continue the floor project? He said what is left will dry rot, but he is not too concerned about it. It may have gone into the floor of the bathroom in that area that already has a plywood subfloor. I think the particle board was removed from there when the floor was redone though. The particle board does run under the wall at least part of the way for sure. He plans to go home for lunch and then come back and see how it air dried. Do we just worry about the wall and bathroom as another project and just finish the floor in the entry? He will be putting subfloor under the part of the wall that he dug out(about 2 inches X 4 feet). Hope I was clear. Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-06, 10:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Particle board is seldom used for sub floor except in MHs and wasn't around 90 yr ago. You probably have OSB, sometimes called wafer/chip board.

Is this section of the house original? Most houses from that era have a tongue and groove 1x's for a sub floor. Just reread your post and I guess the plywood is over the t&g sub floor. Since the plywood goes under the wall framing I assume that section has been remodeled at some point. The walls probably aren't load bearing.

Back to your question, IMO it would be best to let the original sub floor dry as much as posible before covering it up. I'm sure the contractor wants to get done as soon as possible so he can get paid.

Old 09-15-06, 10:34 AM
Yes, it is particle board over the hardwood (about 3" boards) in the entry and then regular plywood in the bathroom(probably over hardwood there,too). I do believe it is part of the original house as it has a basement. This is the only inside wall in that part of the house and there is no upstairs above that part of the house either. You are probably correct that the wall was added to add the bathroom to the house when plumbing came. Then the bathroom was redone about 10 years ago. The wall used to only go part way and then back over,but was brought all the way across at that time to add room in the then tiny bathroom for a tub. If it is not allowed to get wet again, will there be a problem?

Looks like we may let the hardwood floor dry overnight if it needs too, then just finish the floor project in the entry way with the new sub floor going under part of the wall. There is no way to dry that out and check the in the bathroom with out ripping the wall out. Will that wood dry mold free then?

Old 09-15-06, 10:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by MNcountry
There is no way to dry that out and check the in the bathroom with out ripping the wall out. Will that wood dry mold free then?

Hard to say for sure. Dry rot comes from repeated wetting and drying - logs that stay under water don't rot. Mold needs heat and moisture to grow. Molds have been around forever any many of them aren't dangerous. As long as no evidence of it appears on top or below [basement] I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.