How to Fix Creaking Walls?

Old 09-16-06, 04:18 AM
How to Fix Creaking Walls?

Hi,

I am planning to install Pergo Select in a bonus room above a garage. Right now walking on the floor causes the walls to creak. The floor doesnt squeak at all. What can I do to fix this before I lay the pergo down, if anything? The subfloor is 3/4" OSB tounge and groove, glued and screwed according to my original contract. It looks to have mostly screws and some nails in it.

The house is only 3 years old. Is there anything I can do?

THanks for any help.

Lou

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-06, 07:16 PM
Group Moderator
More than likely, if the squeek is from the bottom of the wall, the sole plate of the wall is nailed to the floor and when the floor sags a bit under load (when you walk on it) the nails through the sole plate squeek. This might be because some nail-happy gunner shot some nails through the subflooring and not into some substantial framing. Removing the baseboard and gluing both sides of the sole plate to the floor "might" eliminate the movement. Otherwise if you can see the bottom of this floor, look for nails that are through the plywood and pound them back up, and punch them out with a nail set.

If the squeek is up higher, then I dunno what it could be- maybe loose metal studs rubbing on something? Maybe describe the location or something.