Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sagging, underconstructed ceiling repair

MN

09-19-06, 05:06 AM   #1  
Sagging, underconstructed ceiling repair

I have a single level brick ranch with a 22'x11' addition. The addition had fiberboard walls and paper tile ceiling, which I undertook this week to update with drywall. I was shocked when I ripped out the tiles to discover that the ceiling joists are 2"x4"x12's running the length of the room (22') with a 24" o.c. spacing and mated together in the middle of the room with 1/2" plywood. Needless to say, there is quite a sag in the middle of the room. My two questions are: 1) What do I need to do to support 5/8" drywall, and 2) What is the best way to go about it? Thanks for any advice you can give!

-Dan

Sponsored Links

CT

09-19-06, 08:16 AM   #2  
Dan - Are you sure that your house doesn't have a trussed roof system? They are typically made from 2X4s spaced 24" OC. The piece of plywood in the middle on a truss system is a nailer for attaching the truss chords.

How much is your ceiling sagging and have you considered using 1/2" sheetrock. I don't see any need for the additional weight of 5/8".

MN

09-19-06, 09:06 AM   #3  
Trussed roof

Wayne,

I think you're right. I never bothered to look above the insulation. The center of the room is bowed about 1" below the ceiling around the edges, so how can I level it? I would guess that the settling foundation has caused the entire roof truss structure to settle as well.

Thanks for your help,
Dan

Search this Thread