Horse-hair plaster is the devil.

Old 09-19-06, 11:40 AM
Unhappy Horse-hair plaster is the devil.

Paint will not stick to it. What do I put over it to make paint stick to it? I thought of just covering the whole surface with plaster or drywall compound; would that work? Wall paper is not an option, because yuck.

Yours in gratitude,
Danielle

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-06, 01:00 PM
I'm a little confused as to where you have horse-hair plaster that is exposed, but that asside...

Horse-hair (or wood shavings used in some areas) plaster is intended as a first-coat over lath, as the fiber helps hold it together after it has extruded somewhat between the lath. Traditionally, there are two coats of plaster after that. The next coat is the scratch coat, that often had sand incorporated into the plaster, that is trowelled over the hair-coat smoothed somewhat, then scratched to provide a roughed-up surface for the final, smooth coat of finish plaster. That is the coat that you prime then paint. Hope this helps.

Old 09-19-06, 01:56 PM
Red face

What is exposed is not smooth... it's almost like a really rough plaster and then maybe some kind of coating (lime?). There was wallpaper on it forever, so maybe they didn't think they had to finish it and just glued it all up.

In my head, I just want paint to stick to it and it won't. If there's anything I can do to make paint stick to it, that's pretty awesome. (Also? It's impossible to find studs under this stuff and drilling into it only makes a big mess and lots of holes. Any tips for that? Stud finders go haywire).