Removing a partial wall.........

Old 09-20-06, 09:17 AM
Removing a partial wall.........

hi, redoing the kitchen..... i want to remove part of a load bering wall. 2' from the ceiling to the floor, and 1' from the other non load bering wall to a doorway. put cabinet space with a counter top in opening. my question is how to reinforce that wall. use the 2x4s that are undesturbed from the celing, but im not sure how. thank you, Dave

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-06, 09:52 AM
Group Moderator
Best to consult an engineer when removing any part of a load bearing wall.

Old 09-20-06, 11:11 PM
whats the worst that..........um let me not go there....lol ty for the post im gonna do just that. dave

Old 09-21-06, 05:23 AM
If your house is a 2 story than consult an engineer.
If not, how long is the section of wall you want to remove?

Old 09-21-06, 09:49 PM
yea its a 2 story house. i was thinking of removing a 3x6' section of a 8x11' wall. i would start at the celing and run it to the floor, and from the 2x6 at the door way to the last 2x6 at the ajorning wall. the door way breaks up the wall into a 3' section 30" doorway (seperatint kitchen and dining room) then 6' section. this is in the 6' section i want to make the change. its a really small kitchen so i really need the extra space to put an extra cabinet and small counter top. how it gets tricky is im on a almost non existant budget, but i dont wanna have my 2 story become a 1 story..........

Old 09-22-06, 07:23 PM
"i was thinking of removing a 3x6' section of a 8x11' wall"

!st of all, dimentions in construction are list as width first.

Do you also have a basement?

I gather that your plan is to open a 6'wide by 3'high pass-thru adjacent to an existing 2'6"x6'8" doorway.

You'd do well to reconsider a 6' header height next to a 6'8" door header.

Old 09-24-06, 10:52 AM
um no i just want to remove a tall narrow section to accomodate cabinits and a countertop. i am in need despertly of counter space. so the section to be removed is 3' wide by 6' high. the kitchen bare is 8'x11'. so i (here i go again thinking....lol)was thinking leaving the end 2x6s, running a headder and supporting it with new 2x6s on the ends. there is a unfinished basement. the wall i want to modify is parrell to the floor joists i see in basement. i hope i clarified my mess for you. thanks for the patience. dave