Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Cutting out for outlets in sheetrock???

Cutting out for outlets in sheetrock???

Old 09-22-06, 12:19 PM
Question Cutting out for outlets in sheetrock???

I've seen a rotary tool with rotary saw blades used to cut out for outlets in new sheetrock construction. If you located the outlet and angle the saw bit into the hole and then ream around the inside of the outlet box, how does it fit over the box. It seems it (the hole) would be a bit smaller than the outside dimensions of the box. Is it close enough that you can press it onto (or over) the box, or did I miss a step? Hows the best way to do this without measuring and transferring to the sheetrock and then using a keyhole saw? Any time I have done this, I always seem to miss by a little. Id like to do a really neat job. Thanks, everyone, Larry

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-06, 12:50 PM
Wink

If you look . They hang the top of the sheet then.They cut out a small hole in the dry wall in like the center of the box then jump to the outside of the box and go around it with that small router tool.

ED

Old 09-22-06, 12:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
You need to be carefull with it, make sure the wires are tucked well into the box. The electrician can get upset if the wires get cut

Old 09-25-06, 07:55 AM
A cutout tool can be a bit tricky at first. I suggest you practice on some scrap first!

Old 09-25-06, 12:25 PM
Thanks

Thanks, everyone, I'll make sure the rotoray bit is just deeper than the thickness of the drywall and then go around the outside. I'll check the wires on each box first. I sure appreciate the help. Larry

Old 09-25-06, 04:24 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Larry: with the proper base, it is adjustable to make sure you only protrude enough to cut the sheetrock and have enough to follow the box exterior.

Old 09-25-06, 06:40 PM
It takes a bit more work but I thread 2 screws that I have cut the heads off and sharpened into the holes in the electrical box then press the new drywall into place. I pull the sheet away from the wall and use the two sharpened screws in a new electrical box that matches the one in the wall for a template. I draw my outline and use my rotary tool to do my cutout. You get a perfect fit everytime.

Old 09-25-06, 07:54 PM
Make sure you use the proper drywall bits - to avoid cutting through the plastic box. You will find that cutting in one direction tends to hug the box... the other direction will pull away from the box, creating gaps....

Old 09-28-06, 02:18 PM
Thanks, everyone for the great information. I didn't know about the cutting in a certain direction, but now it makes sense. One hole I cut, it did seem to want to walk away from the box. Thanks again, all. Larry

Old 09-28-06, 02:58 PM
Do not use the cut out tool on the outside of the box. You will be pointing up tons of places where it got away from you. Mark your outlets on the floor so you know where they are. Hang the sheetrock over them but don't nail yet near the box. I use my hammer legnth to set recepticle boxes just happens to be the right size. That way you don't have to use your tape evertime to find the height. Cut out the inside with the roto zip or whatever. Then carefully where you have your wires, cut around the outside with a drywall hand saw. For the side that is against the stud I use a utility knife.