Suspended Ceilings

Old 09-24-06, 03:38 AM
Suspended Ceilings

Purchased home with suspended ceiling throughout. Hate them!! Where do I start with removal and how? Home built in the 50"s. Can raise them a few inches and looks like panels that may be glued above the panels. I am wondering if they could contain asbestos. Understand they are probable covering up a bigger problem. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-06, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator
Thumbs up Welcome to our forums sware12!

What you need to do is remove some of the panels of the suspended ceiling so as to be able to get a good look at the original ceiling.
It is possible that you have a type of composition ceiling tile that is stapled to strapping and that there is no sheetrock underneath.

If you are able to take some digital pics and post them on a photohost we could take a look.

Old 09-30-06, 03:44 AM
GregH, thank you for your time with this. Tried to remove panels and find a have a problem already. Panels are chipping and impossible to get back into place. The other problem I would have with this is the electrical, with all wiring. Husband thinks it would be a very expensive job. Thanks again.

Old 09-30-06, 06:13 AM
Removing ceiling

To expand on your original question:
1. Remove all the panels.
2. Remove the short grid pieces between the long rails. These rails are usually 24 inches or 48 inches long, depending on the size of your panesl. A small screwdriver is handy for this. The grid rails lock together and need to be released by depressing a small "ear" at each end where it is snapped into the long rail.
3. Remove the long rails.
4. Remove the rails along the walls.