Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Fastening to an I-Beam and concrete floor

Old 09-24-06, 08:43 AM

I'm looking to build a wall directly under a large I-beam in our basement. Any suggestionions on how to secure this wall to it. I have a remington powerhammer and was thinking I could fasten the 2x4 top plate to the I-beam with a 2.5 nail using a #4 power load at .22 caliber.

Also to fastern the bottom plate to the concrete floor was thinking the same think but that a #3 power load would work.
Appreciate any thoughts.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-06, 02:43 PM
You have the right idea. Go ahead and put some glue on the top plate for extra hold. The nail won't go through the steal but it will penitrate it enough to hold. Same for the bottom plate.

Old 09-26-06, 03:17 PM
I, personally, would prefer to secure the upper 2X with bolts through drilled holes in the beam. Be sure you use treated lumber for the bottom plate.

Old 09-26-06, 03:30 PM
nap
Not sure what coops is referring to but with a powder gun you should be able to get pins to drive through the beam. I have seen pins driven through 3/16 inch steel and they hold better than anything I have ever dealt with. Getting a board off using pins like this is near impossible.

Old 09-27-06, 06:00 AM
Maybe Im wrong but isnt the power hammer he is using the one you hit with a hammer to set the nail? If I am right then it won't go through. If it's a gun then it will.

Old 09-27-06, 08:10 AM
Thanks for the help and responses.

The remington power hammer takes something like a 22 cal bullet to drive the nail. You put the load ( bullet) and the nail in the hammer, position the unit then hit the top with a regular hammer. After the big bang, you hope the nail is where you expect. According to the packaging the #4 should go through steel, but I've never tried it on anything this thick. The I-beam is about 12-14 inches so the steel is a little less than 1/2 inch at where I want to connect.

Also I was not aware of the pressure treated wood idea. Is PT wood required where ever the framing contacts concrete ( ie the bottom plate) ? I always thought PT should never be used indoors.

I did framing about 30 years ago so a little rusty on these things.

Last edited by MikeRR; 09-27-06 at 10:22 AM.
Old 09-27-06, 08:43 AM
[QUOTE=MikeRR]...Also I was not aware of the pressure treated wood idea. Is PT wood required where ever the framing contacts concrete ( ie the bottom plate) ? I always thought PT should never be used indoors.[QUOTE]

The bottom plate on concrete is the exception - you want PT, so the plate doesn't disintegrate from the moisture it will draw from the concrete.

Your Remington will drive nails into the beam, and is less work than drilling and bolting, but as was mentioned above is nearly impossible to undo should the need arrise. If you decide to use the powerhammer, avoid trying to drive the nails into the center of the beam (where the webbing is) - it will work better on the thinner parts of the beam.