Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Removing Backsplash and Replacing Drywall

09-24-06, 06:12 PM   #1  
Removing Backsplash and Replacing Drywall

I am going to remove a tile backsplash in my kitchen that extends from the top of the countertops all the way to the bottom of the cabinets. I realize that the drywall will probably be damaged when I am done with the removal.

How do I replace the drywall just in this section-- from countertop to the bottom of the cabinets? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-25-06, 05:16 AM   #2  
It would be awfully difficult to just replace the drywall between the cabinets. As you probably know the wall consists of 2 sheets of drywall [hung horizontally] that was installed prior to the cabinets.

What I would do would be to either repair and skim coat the drywall between the cabinets or overlay it with 1/4" drywall.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

09-25-06, 10:38 AM   #3  
Marksr, thanks for your reply! If I am not going to replace the drywall, do you have any recommendations on how to remove the tile in a way that causes the least damage? Thank you for your expertise!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-25-06, 03:52 PM   #4  
Posted By: RatHat do you have any recommendations on how to remove the tile in a way that causes the least damage?
Very carefully

As long as you don't completetly destroy the drywall, repairing it shouldn't be a big deal. If the paper face of the drywall gets removed, prime first with a solvent based primer. This will prevent the moisture in the joint compound from reacting with the ground up gypsum. Once the gypsum is sealed it is just a matter of applying j/c and sanding to get it smooth.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

09-25-06, 07:58 PM   #5  
thanks for your help!

Search this Thread