Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Removing Backsplash and Replacing Drywall

Old 09-24-06, 06:12 PM

I am going to remove a tile backsplash in my kitchen that extends from the top of the countertops all the way to the bottom of the cabinets. I realize that the drywall will probably be damaged when I am done with the removal.

How do I replace the drywall just in this section-- from countertop to the bottom of the cabinets? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-06, 05:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It would be awfully difficult to just replace the drywall between the cabinets. As you probably know the wall consists of 2 sheets of drywall [hung horizontally] that was installed prior to the cabinets.

What I would do would be to either repair and skim coat the drywall between the cabinets or overlay it with 1/4" drywall.

Old 09-25-06, 10:38 AM
Marksr, thanks for your reply! If I am not going to replace the drywall, do you have any recommendations on how to remove the tile in a way that causes the least damage? Thank you for your expertise!

Old 09-25-06, 03:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by RatHat
do you have any recommendations on how to remove the tile in a way that causes the least damage?
Very carefully

As long as you don't completetly destroy the drywall, repairing it shouldn't be a big deal. If the paper face of the drywall gets removed, prime first with a solvent based primer. This will prevent the moisture in the joint compound from reacting with the ground up gypsum. Once the gypsum is sealed it is just a matter of applying j/c and sanding to get it smooth.

Old 09-25-06, 07:58 PM
thanks for your help!