New basement wall problem

Old 09-25-06, 10:26 AM
New basement wall problem

Iím building a new wall in my basement adjacent to a concrete wall. My problem is that at the top of the basement wall there is a cold air return duct so I cannot extend the framing right up to the joists. Itís a high basement, (9 feet) and the returns are between 8-9 feet high. So I am wondering how do I fasten the top of this new wall, and to what. I obviously cannot it to the ductwork at the top. Can I nail a 2x4 to the concrete wall at the 8 foot level, then connect my new wall to that 2x4 for support (or is this against code) ?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-06, 07:57 PM
If I'm reading your post properly... can't you build a soffit around the returns... allowing you a higher ceiling overall.. and some interesting "character" in your ceiling?

Old 09-26-06, 10:23 AM
It's always hard to describe these things. Here's a diagram of what I trying to describe.

http://home.comcast.net/~october_sky/wall.jpg

I'd like to attach the new wall to the concrete side wall at the top. Is this code proper ? Also since the bottom of duct is just over 8 feet from the floor, it would allow me to hide all with a suspended ceiling.

Old 09-26-06, 01:32 PM
I don't see a problem with what you want to do.
Unless your city inspector has a different view.

I boxed around a perimeter duct from joist to the top of the concrete wall and had a perimeter wall meet with the soffit. You may need to use treated lumber for direct contact with concrete or might be allowed for untreated if some sheeting is sandwiched between the wall and the board to prevent any moisture from being wicked from the concrete.

You might be able to just box around the duct from the joists down to the new wall your building to avoid the need to tie into the concrete for support....as Thezster suggested.