Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Drilling Questions

09-28-06, 08:08 PM   #1  
Drilling Questions

I want to install a large mirror in my bedroom on top of the dresser. I have a hammer drill and I think I'm ready to go but don't know how (bare with me I'm a newbie)

1. I bought drill bits so which size do I use to drill the wall and how deep do I drill?

2. Or do I get the a sdrew and just drill it using the drill first before making a hole.

3. what type of screw length and width should I get?

Sponsored Links

MO

09-28-06, 08:33 PM   #2  
First Just what is the wall you want to hang it on?? Then why cant you use the metal legs like that screw to the dresser then the mirror screws to them.

ED

09-29-06, 03:00 PM   #3  
The wall is drywall. The mirror is seperate to the dresser.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

09-29-06, 05:26 PM   #4  
You shouldn't need the hammer drill.

Heavy items like a mirror should be hung from screws directly attached to the studs if at all possible - that will give the most holding power.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

MO

09-29-06, 07:31 PM   #5  
If no frame they have metal clips to put on the wall to hold it. Check home depot and lowes

ED

TN

09-30-06, 06:48 AM   #6  
Hanging Mirror

Drill pilot holes first to make sure you are hitting a stud. Use a bit smaller than the screw threads. Install the bottom clips first to support the weight of the mirror. Make sure these are level. Then install clips on top and sides.

Search this Thread