Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Sheetrocking a cathedral ceiling

09-30-06, 05:57 AM   #1  
Sheetrocking a cathedral ceiling

I am renovating an apartment which has a cathedral ceiling with exposed rafters. I intend to sheetrock the ceiling, using the space between the sheetrock and roof to install recessed lighting and run wiring.

I am concerned that the rafters are out of true and that the finished sheetrock will be " wavy". I suspect this would be most noticable at night.

1) Is using a long straight edge the best way to assess how mush the rafters deviate from a flat surface?
2) If I find that some area's are out of true, what is the best method for correcting this?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

09-30-06, 06:03 AM   #2  
Should be some pros along with the textbook answer, but I would use a stringline to check the alignments (pulled very tight to make sure you're not reading "sag" as out of true) and install sister boards where there is a problem.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

09-30-06, 06:11 AM   #3  
Tow guy has it right..

few amateurs have a straightedge long enough to span what you need to span - not that many pros either. And sistering to the rafters is easier/faster/more accurate than trying to shim.

The only problem comes when you find a single rafter than is considerably lower than the rest, requiring sistering all of them, or planing the one.

09-30-06, 07:57 AM   #4  
Thanks for the info, it's much appreciated.

I'm not familiar with the term " sistering". Can you briefly explain what this means?

Maybe I shouldn't even be considering this project if I have to ask this question, but you have to learn somehow!

09-30-06, 09:11 AM   #5  
sistering is attaching another board to the side of yours.

You would install this one in the proper location respectively (for a level or straight surface) and attach your rock to it.

09-30-06, 09:25 AM   #6  
Many thanks.

Group Moderator

FL

09-30-06, 09:26 AM   #7  
...using the string line to keep everything even.

Measure it with a micrometer; cut it with an ax.

Search this Thread