Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

sheetrocking ceiling and wall question

Old 10-04-06, 12:03 PM

I live in an house built in the early 1900's. The ceilings are approximately 9' high. I am going to put new sheet rock on a wall and the ceiling. Does it matter if I do the ceiling or wall first? Also, when sheet rocking the wall, should I start at the ceiling and come down, or start at the floor and go up.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-06, 02:28 PM
Typically the ceiling is done first. The reasoning is because this allows easier access to the edge joists when nailing as well as to provide some support to the edges with the ensuing walls.

In your situation, I would do the same, though you will be attaching the drywall to the existing plaster/lathe ceiling, which makes it easier to "hit the edges".

Additionally, walls are usually put up from the top down, hanging the drywall horizontally to help hide the seams - though there are no hard and fast rules to this. Again, in your situation, I personally would use 12 foot drywall cut to the new height, and install them vertically to minimize the number of new joints in your new wall. --- But - that's just me. I'm sure there will be conflicting points of view. To each their own - and each situation is different.

Old 10-04-06, 05:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Always start at the top and work your way down.

IMO it is better to hang the walls horizontally. It makes finishing easier and usually looks better. I doubt you will find it at a big box but you should use 54" board. That way there is only 1 seam, in the middle. Any drywall supply house will carry the wider width.