paint over wallpaper

Old 10-14-06, 04:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
paint over wallpaper

We are trying to redecorate a room with some major wall problems...

They appear to have been painted beige -- over top of a dark brown wallpaper. The paint started chipping off at the seams, etc., so we have been scraping it all off bit by bit.

The problem is, it isn't all coming off. In some areas it's really stuck. We can't remove the wallpaper if we can't scrape the layer of paint off.

Should we just scrape as much paint off as we can, and then wallpaper over top? The dark brown paper is not peeling at all, and is not vinyl.

Thanks.

Old 10-15-06, 01:00 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Wall problems

If you're set on wallpaper, I think it would work--just make sure that the paint that remains is sanded smooth & won't leave noticeable lumps under your wallpaper. Putting wainscoting along the bottom of your wall would cover up any wall ills, cutting down on wall work & wallpaper. Beadboard, tongue & groove or even T 1 11 painted works well for this.

Here's some other things I've used on bad walls:

--Spread joint compound all over & make stucco-like walls. Then paint with a coarse roller.
--Use fabric instead of wallpaper. Batting behind the fabric will even cover large gouges/holes, etc. I think DIY has instructions for this.

Hope this helps!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: