Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Wallpaper Wallpaper wallpaper!!!!!ruined walls

Wallpaper Wallpaper wallpaper!!!!!ruined walls

Old 10-14-06, 05:51 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Wallpaper Wallpaper wallpaper!!!!!ruined walls

HELP!!!! I just bought an older house, needed some work but I got it for a good price.or so i thought....until I went to remodel it! I tore off the first layer of wallpaper only to find 7 more! when I took those layers down, the sheet rock came with! So...I did the whole drywall thing-fixed, well sorta. Now the problem, the bedroom is the same way, I CANT do all that again, It has what looks like 6 layers of wallpaper with newspaper underneath.I tried to paint it but it showed every bump and imperfection.Is there a way to paint right over the wall paper and hide the imperfections without ripping everthing down?flat paint, a certain color,textered?????Im a woman with no help and no training in this so no major repair ideas please, something nice and simple:>)

Old 10-15-06, 05:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums

IMO it is never a good idea to paint over wallpaper. If you do paint it, it should first be primed with a solvent based primer. This will prevent the moisture in latex paint from softening up any of the adhesive. After priming you can skim coat the wall to smooth it out, it would then need repriming [latex is fine]

Flat paint always helps to hide defects. Enamels will highlight them.

Another option would be to laminate the walls with 1/4" drywall but that does involve a lot of work, including removing and modifing the woodwork.

Again, it is never a good idea to paint over wallpaper but I know sometimes it's unavoidable.

Old 10-15-06, 08:28 AM
T
I agree with the above post - but feel your pain as I'm in the same situation with my current home. I've been stripping the multiple layers of wallpaper and then skim coating the walls - but it's a very labor intensive project and requires some mudding skills to get a smooth finish. I did notice one room in my home that the previous owner had put on a rather heavy wallpaper material (almost like stiff construction paper) over the earlier layers of wallpaper. It covered the imperfections in the plaster finish rather well. With a light coating of mud over the seams, it looked as good as a new drywall finish. I'm not a "wallpaper" type of person - but was intrigued as it appears to be much easier than the approach I'm using and seems aimed at the quick DIY project. Check out your wallpaper dept. at your local box store.

Old 10-15-06, 09:54 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
It's a lot of work, but the best results will be if you do the following:

1 Remove all the wallpaper
2 Prime any areas where the gypsum on the wallboard is exposed with Zinsser Gardz
3 Skim coat the walls with joint compound to smooth them out
4 Prime the walls
5 Paint with quality paint from a paint store

Old 10-15-06, 05:04 PM
If you decide to remove the wallpaper in other rooms, consider renting a wallpaper steamer. If will make the job easier and will allow you to remove the final layer without damaging the drywall.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: