Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

expando help

11-01-06, 06:10 AM   #1  
expando help

hello..i'm a newbie with a question.i have a mobile home with an expando. does anybody know how this thing works to get it back in.i'm 99% sure it is a slider not a tip in. thank you

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-01-06, 06:36 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums

While I've been in several MH with the slide out addition, I've never worked on one. Have you tried calling any of the MH dealers in your area? Maybe the MH manufacture web site?

Sorry I can't be of better help

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

11-01-06, 11:05 AM   #3  
expando problem

talk to a couple dealers,but all they want to do is sell you a new one.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-01-06, 11:56 AM   #4  
Maybe this site http://www.mobilehomerepair.com/ will be able to help you.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

11-27-06, 05:49 PM   #5  
Expando or Tip Out

A Tip Out has a slant roof (so that it can TIP out).
An Expando (ie Roll Out or Slide Out - depending on what part of the country you are from) will have a flat roof.
What ever, they both will be detached by removing both interior panneling or drywall at the points of the addition and the exterior flashing around the addition (which may require the removal of roof coating). At that point remove all fasteners.
If it is a Tip Out. In both cases there will be a hinge where the floor of the addition where it meets the main unit floor. Lift from the outside with at least two people on the inside, and TIP in.
If this is an Expando you will need to remove the sideing on the lower part of the exterior as the floor of the expando is seperate from the rest of the addition and is bolted thru the bottom plate. Next check for electrical jumpers from the main unit to the addition, remove at outlet as required. If there is a built in hutch of devider, it may require full or partial removal.
From the exterior Carefully with a crowbar seperate the Expando unit from the floor. Installing several peices of 1/2 inch pipe x 6" will become rollers to push the room into the main body. Next push the addition into the main body.
the floor then tips up to fill most of the hole for transport.
Brace with several 2x4s and cover with plastic.
Good Luck!

Last edited by marksr; 11-28-06 at 05:32 AM. Reason: removed e-mail address

Search this Thread