Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Studio Apartment + Wall = Jr. One Bedroom?

Old 11-01-06, 11:38 AM

I'm trying to decide between a studio/efficiency or a one bedroom condo for purchase. The floorplans are practically identical but the Studio is priced $215k for 582 sqft
and the Junior One Bedroom is priced $241k for the same amount of space.

Right now, all I can afford is the studio. Would it make sense to add a real wall and door to the unit to make it a junior one bedroom in a few years when my financial situation changes? Adding a wall seems simple enough but I have no idea, even in general terms, how much this could cost.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-06, 12:06 PM
Group Moderator
Adding walls is pretty straightforward. We do it all the time in the other office buidling we have. You can hire the work done and still have way less into it than the difference in price they're giving you now.

Old 11-01-06, 12:20 PM
SqFt, welcome to the DIY forums.

I don't know much about walls, but as a thought...for a condo (and maybe perhaps a studio too), it might take longer or be harder (or the opposite) as I think you'd have to an approval from the HOA (or someone else) as they would have to approve it first. I think it would be for structural changes. I'm not 100% sure as you aren't taking anything apart, but you are adding to. Just something to look into while you're at it.

Old 11-01-06, 12:46 PM
It shouldn't cost $26K to put up a wall. If working with an agent, he/she can find out from you what restrictions, if any, there would be to erecting the wall. Obviously a wall to separate the living spaces is considered an increase in value. The cost of the wall would then provide a good return on the investment.

Cost of labor and materials tends to vary from area to area as does finding someone available to do the work. Perhaps your agent, family member, friend, or co-worker knows someone who can install studs, wiring for outlets, and drywall.

Old 11-01-06, 01:04 PM
I agree with Twelvepole.... With just a bit of DIY ability and a couple of nice tools, you can put up a new wall for, I would guess, under $1000 (of course, that depends on the size of the wall - which I'm guessing to be under 20ft long with a door in it.

Old 11-02-06, 10:36 AM
I spoke with the Condo Management and they are fine with the wall being added. The agent said many others buying in this building have the same plans. So I'm gonna go for it.

Thanks for the advice!!!

Old 11-02-06, 12:35 PM
Goodness 582 sq ft for over $200k? Do you mind if I ask where the condo is?

But putting up a wall should not be too much of an issure. Buy a copy of the Home Depot DIY 1-2-3 book as a housewarming gift for yourself... the book provides instructions for adding a wall and a whole lot more!