Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Painting Smooth Wall - Roller or Spray

WA

11-10-06, 12:28 PM   #1  
Painting Smooth Wall - Roller or Spray

I am looking for advice on the best way to finishing paint a new drywall installation.

All the drywall in this condo is brand new and has been finished to a level 5 smooth wall using USG's Tuff Coat finisher (sprayed on with an airless sprayer) and then lightly scuffed with 180 grit sandpaper. The drywall team on this unit did an exceptional job throughout.

I want to make sure whatever I do to paint this does achieves optimum results. To make the situation a bit more complicated this unit is located on the water so it gets quite a bit of light particularly reflected off the ceiling. My concern here is that I want a smooth surface but if it gets too smooth it might show more imperfection (no matter how good the work is it is never perfect)

In speaking with painters I have received conflicting advice - roll with a 3/8th nap, spray and spray with backroll. It has been difficult to discern whether I am getting objective advice based on the specifics of my situation or just an answer that corresponds to their preferred way of doing things.

Thanks in advance for your help and opinions.

David

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-10-06, 01:31 PM   #2  
Generally drywall should be rolled for the best looking results. Also rolled paint is easier to touch up than just sprayed paint [and new homes always require touch up] Spraying and back rolling is an acceptable application method although I usually prefer to cut and roll the final coat because of the hassles dealing with overspray.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

WA

11-10-06, 03:21 PM   #3  
primer - does it matter to spray or rolled

Thanks for the post. Does it matter if the primer is sprayed or rolled?

What is the best nap thickness to use in my situation?

All the best,
David

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

11-11-06, 06:06 AM   #4  
I almost always spray the primer without back rolling, quicker = cheaper [more profit] I also try to spray the primer before cabinets, electrical, etc are installed so I don't have to be overly concerned with over spray.

I usually use a 1/2" nap. A 3/8" nap will leave less orange peel [roller texture] but doesn't hold as much paint. Either should work fine. Be sure to use a quality roller cover, it will make your job easier.

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

Search this Thread