Sunken living room

Old 11-12-06, 09:42 AM
Sunken living room

I bought a house that was built in 1981 and it has a sunken living room. It has carpet on the wall about 6 inches up from the floor. I want to remove the carpet so I removed the baseboard from the wall and saw that the drywall does not extend all the way to the floor. There is a rim of concrete on the outside wall that meets with the height of the foundation of the rest of the house on the other three walls. There is a 1.5" gap between the drywall and the foundation. How would I fill that gap and make the wall appear to be solid drywall from the floor to the ceiling so that I don't have to install flooring on the 6 inches of the foundation that shows all the way around the room and then install the baseboard at the bottom of the wall ?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-06, 11:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds like you have enough room to install some PT strips to the concrete and then attach the sheetrock to the strips.
I assume you will need to remove the baseboard so you can mud and tape the joint where the new drywall meets the old.

If you are installing a wood floor, you might want to check out the flooring forum to find out what all is involved with installing wood over concrete - especially if any of it is below grade.

Old 11-15-06, 08:14 PM
Here is a photo. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/gtanse/floor.jpg
The drywall is flush with the concrete behind the wood trim so it won't meet at a joint that can be taped and mudded if attached to the concrete. It would overlap. I may have to install tile to cover this up. Does joint compound adhere to concrete?

Old 11-16-06, 04:01 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the pic, I assume the floor also had carpet at one time.
While j/c will stick to concrete, I wouldn't recomend going that route. I'd be suprised if you could finish the joint where the concrete and drywall meet and not have it crack sooner or later.

Unless you stain and use wood to extend the height of the baseboard I think your best bet would be to run the flooring material up that short section of wall.

Old 11-16-06, 07:10 AM
The floor does have carpet on it. The photo is of the only wall that isn't covered by furniture and it's at the back door so there is tile where the door opens. I'm too lazy to move the furniture. I have thought of extending the baseboard but I would have to do the whole house. I'd like to disguise the "sunken room" look. Thanks for your help.