Texturing Walls over Old Texture?


Old 11-29-06, 02:47 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 13
Texturing Walls over Old Texture?


We have a room that has the knock down texture on 3 of the walls and a different texture on the 4th wall. I'm not sure of the exact name of this texture but I have seen it applied before and they used a tool that resembled a small mop type (if I'm remembering correctly). What process would need to be done to this wall to retexture using the knock down method?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-06, 05:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA
Posts: 43,801
Would it be a stomp texture ? - normally used on ceilings. It is done with a round or crowsfoot brush.

It is best to have a slick wall to apply texture to. First see what you can do with a scraper and sandpaper. Then smooth out the wall with a skim coat of joint compound. Once the wall is slick it is ready for texture.

Knockdown is normally sprayed on [splatter coat] and then knock downed with a wide drywall knife. The thickness of the joint compound [thinned to spray] and the elapsed time before knocking down will determine the look of the texture.
Old 11-29-06, 06:11 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 13
Yep, Crowsfoot brush is the tool I was thinking of... however after looking at examples of the crowsfoot texture the wall texture isn't as pronounced as the pictures I saw. I wasn't sure if I would be able to just spray the new texture over the old but now I know I need to smooth out the wall first. Thanks for the help.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes