Texturing Walls over Old Texture?

Old 11-29-06, 02:47 PM
Texturing Walls over Old Texture?

Hello,

We have a room that has the knock down texture on 3 of the walls and a different texture on the 4th wall. I'm not sure of the exact name of this texture but I have seen it applied before and they used a tool that resembled a small mop type (if I'm remembering correctly). What process would need to be done to this wall to retexture using the knock down method?

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-06, 05:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Would it be a stomp texture ? - normally used on ceilings. It is done with a round or crowsfoot brush.

It is best to have a slick wall to apply texture to. First see what you can do with a scraper and sandpaper. Then smooth out the wall with a skim coat of joint compound. Once the wall is slick it is ready for texture.

Knockdown is normally sprayed on [splatter coat] and then knock downed with a wide drywall knife. The thickness of the joint compound [thinned to spray] and the elapsed time before knocking down will determine the look of the texture.

Old 11-29-06, 06:11 PM
Yep, Crowsfoot brush is the tool I was thinking of... however after looking at examples of the crowsfoot texture the wall texture isn't as pronounced as the pictures I saw. I wasn't sure if I would be able to just spray the new texture over the old but now I know I need to smooth out the wall first. Thanks for the help.

Search this Thread