what way do i hang drywall??

Old 11-30-06, 09:42 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
what way do i hang drywall??

i have a wall at home i need to replace as its all stuffed, i have pulled the old drywall off and im wondering how do i hang the new stuff?
the sheets i have measure 3000mm x 1200mm x 10mm and im not sure how to hang it whether long ways or upright as the edges will over hang into space when i hang it any which way.
do i cut the drywall to line up with the wall studs or what?? i got no idea, like i cant join the wall where there is no stud can i? if i lean on it after its all painted it will crack wont it??
heres the pic of the wall with the studs and measurements. the studs are about 5cm wide.
http://www.agolfa.com.au/wall.jpg

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-06, 12:22 AM
Wink

You should hang the drywall horizontal. Cut it so the ends nail or screw into a stud . Here you can get the drywall in 4'X8' 4'X12'

Old 12-01-06, 04:40 AM
T
i thought that would probably be the correct way, i will see what i can do about it, thanks.

Old 12-01-06, 10:40 AM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
this is one area in which it seems many still disagree.

I believe it should be hung vertical so that there is a factory (reduced thickness) edge anywhere 2 sheets meet. If hung horizontal there will be full thickness drywall joints which are more difficult to hide.

the rock needs to be hung so that all joints are on a stud. To accomplish this, you would determine how many sheets it requires to go across the entire wall. Almost guaranteeed you will end up with a partial sheet. You cut one sheet so that when the newly cut edge is in the corner, the factory edge will rest 1/2 way across a stud. Then you simply hang additioanl sheets until you reach the other end which if a cut is needed, the cut side will be placed in the corner.

By hanging vertical you will also eliminate any unsupported edges such as you will have when hanging horizontal. every edge will be placed on a stud unless the sheetrock is not taken to the full heighth of the wall. In cases such as that, it really makes little diference since this is done with a lay-in ceiling and there are no areas that will typically be subjected to somebody pushing on them and there is no joint there anyway.

the sheetrock also needs to be lifted slightly off the floor before attaching. This prevents any moisture that may end up pn the floor from wicking up the sheetrock.

Old 12-01-06, 10:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Hanging rock horizontally will help to hide any irregularities in the framing. It also makes finishing easier because you have a constant 4' high run instead of having to finish from top to bottom every 4'

Old 12-01-06, 04:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 712 Votes on 659 Posts
I agree with Ed and Marksr, it's almost always easier and better to hang it horizontal. The belly joint is right in front of you and easier to finish. If it's a short wall, you won't have any butt joints because you would get sheetrock that is long enough so that you wouldn't need butt joints.

If the wall is long and you need butt joints, they break over the center of a stud. If needed, you can add blocking onto a stud, for instance if the studs are crooked. In most old houses, hanging vertically doesn't work well if the framing isn't perfectly 16" oc or perfectly plumb. It can also be a pain in the neck to tape past outlet boxes when the joint is right next to them, as you frequently have when drywall is vertical.

There are situations where vertical drywall makes more sense, but most often it's laid horizontally.

Old 12-03-06, 03:58 AM
S
Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
the sheets i have measure 3000mm x 1200mm x 10mm
3000mm meters is equal to 9,843 feet X 1200mm meters is equal to 3,937 feet X 10mm meters is equal to 33 feet.

How many of these "sheets" do you have and how did you get them to your house?

[/QUOTE]5cm wide.[/QUOTE]

5cm centimeters is equal to 2 inches.

Drywall is available in 8, 8, 10 and 12' lengths.

Old 12-03-06, 04:07 AM
S
By the way, hang it verticlly, flat tape at the ceiling. it will save you the 1'+
riper between the sheets, which will require an additional tape joint.

Old 12-03-06, 07:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 712 Votes on 659 Posts
>>it will save you the 1'+ riper between the sheets

Does he have 9' ceilings? How far is it from the floor to ceiling, themechanic?

Old 12-11-06, 04:39 AM
T
i dunno in feet, but 2600mm high and one wall im doing is 2800mm long, 3 sheets horizontal is perfect., i just need to take 200mm off each end of 3000x1200 sheets and it a perfect fit, no rippers no nuthin.

Old 12-11-06, 07:54 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
I'm not sure I follow with the metric measurments but it is best if as many seams as possible have the factory beveled edge. If you cut off the beveled edge, that edge should be at the very bottom or at the top. It will make finishing a little easier.