New Ceiling and HVAC ducts

Old 12-05-06, 11:05 AM
New Ceiling and HVAC ducts

I am doing a total renovation on a home and installed a new furnace with new ceiling ducts (the original furnace had old dilapidated floor ducts).

After I got the new duct work installed I replaced all the drywall in the house. I was away on vacation while this was being finished, and, upon return, have tried to install the ceiling registers over the new vents. I've discovered that my drywall installers just estimated the size of the ducts so while all of the registers measure 4"x10" the drywall openings in the ceiling are cut at various lengths and widths--most of which are wider or longer than the registers.

I'm looking for direction on how I can fix this....

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-06, 02:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
welcome to the forums

There are various ways to fix this depending on the severity of the oversized hole. I asume the grille/defuser attaches directly to the duct. Most common method to repair is to flat tape the excess opening - basically tape and finish as you would a seam.

It is also possible that a small piece of rock would need to be inserted, taped and finished.

IMO this is the responsibility of the drywall finisher/hanger. They should come back and fix for free - especially since they didn't cut any 2 holes the same.

Search this Thread