Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Concete wall, how to chisel off about 2cm ?

Old 12-08-06, 01:57 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi !,
Just found this forum; exactly what i need

Moved to Hong Kong from Sweden. Now moving in to apartment and have a wall with a recessed space in it (not sure how its said in English, can for example put shallow shelfs, or something in to this area in wall). Anyway, this almost fits perfect for a home theater sofa (since that back rest need some clearence behind it the recessed area will be perfect).

The problem is, i need about 2cm more clearence on one side. Its about 2 height (if i do it from floor to ceiling).

I got a Bosch SDS rotation hammer drill, can use as chisel. Could anyone pls give me some hints what i need to do ?. So i dont make the 'normal' misstakes. Basically a handy guy and enjoy this kind of thing so should be ok.

After i chisel the concrete away; is there any special filler i should use ?.

Thx alot !.
Marcus

Ps. Is it possible to post pictures ?. (easier to explain).

Old 12-08-06, 04:41 AM
Group Moderator
Received 250 Upvotes on 202 Posts
I think you are looking at a lot of work and may end up with something that doesn't look real good. Also there may be structural considerations. No chance of finding a different piece of furniture that will fit? I would look hard for that first.

You can't post pictures here, but you can post an address to a photo site such as photobucket.

Old 12-08-06, 04:42 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Welcome to our forums Marcus!

I think the first thing you have to do is check on how this concrete area you want to chisel fits into the structure.
It is possible that this wall is loadbearing where you would not be able to do anything with it.
Also, I would assume you own this space but even so there will be building rules you must follow relating to renovation.
You will likely have a management company or person to ask about this.

At present our forum does not have the ability to show images but you can get some free space at a host like Photobucket and give us a link to the pictures.

Old 12-10-06, 08:35 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thx for feedback !.

I could ofcourse buy a new Sofa etc; but will cost alot more then fixing the wall. I dont own the property but consider the alteration so minor that it wont be noticed (just 1 to 2 cm will solve it).

Anyway, let me try and get a picture up so you can see what i mean and comment further.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: