Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Improvement Center > Walls and Ceilings
Reload this Page >

Horizontal vs. vertical drywall hanging...

Old 12-06-06, 06:40 AM
gsr

I am going to be drywalling my basement which has a ledge 37" up and then 59" above the ledge.

I know the current prefered way to hang it on a wall is horizontally but in this case I'd have to cut 11" of the bottom sheet and put it above the ledge with the top sheet.

So for the ~75' of exterior "half" wall would I be better going vertically? I'm assuming they don't make 59+" wide drywall.

Also if I do hang it vertically is it possible to cut several sheets at once with a circular saw or something or am I better off doing them one at a time with a knife?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-06, 03:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
They make 54" wide sheetrock, but you will still be a nickel short. Vertical application in your situation would be best. You can cut several sheets with a circular saw if you like, but it is terribly dusty, and you should use a mask to keep from breathing the junk. And it will ruin a good blade, so be prepared to replace it before you cut wood.

Old 12-06-06, 05:37 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I was working on some town houses long time back and the framer had forgot to build soffits in the kitchens, so to cut down on what he would be charged for the drywall men coming back he hung the rock. Stacked and cut with a skil saw. I was working a few units down and thought the building was on fire! Be prepared for a major dust storm if you use a skil saw.

Using a ripper on the top portion of the wall should save on rock - your call.

Old 12-07-06, 05:22 AM
gsr
Thanks

Thanks, for the info. wanted to make sure there wasn't some drywall size I'd never heard of that would work for my needs.

Along 1 length of wall I have to build around the HVAC ducting so that should shorten the top height enough that I could run that wall horizontally I hope.

I think I'll stick to cutting with the knife, I'm sure I'll be making enough of a mess already, turning the basement into a cloud of sheetrock dust wouldn't go over well.

Thanks!