Shifting house and drywall

Old 12-16-06, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I live in an older mobile up north. During annual freeze and thaw, the house shifts to the point that I have trouble with a few doors and occasionally I'll get a crack in the drywall.

I would like to remove the old panelling and replace it with drywall but don't want to have to be constantly repairing cracks.

Is there a way I can circumvent this, or is there a better choice for my walls than sheetrock??

I don't think there's anything else I can do to stop the house from shifting..

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-06, 01:12 PM
W
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you are in an area where the ground freezes, your shifting is probably because your foundation is not below the frost line. If you don't have support piers and footers below frost, you'll always get some movement.

Old 12-16-06, 03:48 PM

Just recognize that your type of structure on the type of footings you have will move with the ground so don't plan on having walls without either cracks or joints.

One alternate is the pipeline approach. - Build on permafrost and isolate the building so it does not melt the frost.

The other is to have solid, rigid concrete raft foundation. The house will not twist and crack, but the foundation may tilt as the south side warms or melts in the summer.

Dick

Old 12-16-06, 06:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 332 Votes on 295 Posts
The newer MHs that utilize drywall [1/4"] use mouldings instead of taping joints - this helps the drywall to both survive moving as well as settlement.

Old 12-17-06, 04:17 AM
Interesting replies, thanks to all.

I don't think investing anything into the foundation is worth the expense on this home, might be best just to leave the panelling as is. Thanks!