Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Corner Bead

12-20-06, 09:50 AM   #1  
Corner Bead

I need to replace the outer corner beads in my kitchen area. When I moved in they were all dented and the wall is crumbling. I read the article, http://www.doityourself.com/stry/fixingcrumplecorners, at this website. It says, "Metal corner bead is sold in 8-ft. lengths that cost about $2 each." I can't find anything under $100. Am I looking for the wrong thing? Please help
!!

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-20-06, 09:53 AM   #2  
Welcome to the forums

Where are you looking? If it is indeed corner bead it most be gross price and not individual pieces.

All the big box stores should have individual pieces of corner bead in stock. Last I bought was under $2

retired painter/contractor avid DIYer

12-20-06, 11:37 AM   #3  
Corner Bead

I bet you're right! I'm not sure what the best thing to do is. I've stripped the wallpaper in my kitchen and wanted to go back with a faux painting technique. But most of my corners are dented and the joint compound just crumbles off. I'm not sure if I should just try to fill in with joint compound and hope it holds, or pull off all of the corner beads and try to replace them. It looks as though the existing beads were crimped. I'm wondering if that's part of the problem. I just don't want to spend lots of time & $ doing a faux technique that crumbles if someone bumps the wall in passing. I'd like to make the best possible repair. I appreciate your help!

OH

12-20-06, 11:54 AM   #4  
If your corners are not totally destroyed I would go ahead and do your painting and buy some nice decorative corner gaurds.

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-20-06, 03:57 PM   #5  
it is no little job to remove and replace the corner bead - they are usually finished with 3 coats of joint compound.

Corner bead is crimped or nailed in place. IMO nailing is better. If it is loose you can renail it to the stud. It would be best to remove most of the crumbly j/c and remud. Unless the corner bead edge is beat to pieces floating a nice coat of mud on each side will make it look new.

12-20-06, 04:19 PM   #6  
Thanks for all of your help. I'm going to take both of your advice. I'll remud, paint, and put a corner guard on each corner. Hopefully that'll take care of it. I appreciate your recommendations!!

12-20-06, 04:22 PM   #7  
One last question...
The metal is exposed at the outermost part of the bead. I can't seem to cover it competely with mud. Do I just paint over it, or do I need to cover it somehow? Thanks!

Forum Topic Moderator

TN

12-20-06, 04:29 PM   #8  
The very edge of the metal is supposed to be exposed [just painted] When you mud the sides you tightly run your knife on the metal edge which insures you have a straight line/corner. it is also more durable not to have mud on the very edge.

12-20-06, 08:18 PM   #9  
Great! That's what i needed to know. Thanks!

Search this Thread